Based on the traditional Native American cone shape, the tipi is built to withstand high winds and driving rain. It even as a removeable rain cap for ventilation or even to exit a wood burning stove right out the top! The single center pole makes the 500 tipi packable, portable, and easy to set up with just one person. Includes a zip in/out bathtub style floor is water impenetrable and completely removeable. Waterproof and breathable, the tipi is constructed with our Classic Canvas (320 gr/m² or 9.5 oz/yd²).
- The 500 is ideal for 4 glampers on queen beds or as many as 8 campers on sleeping pads.
- Dynamic Conical Shape: The cone shape of the tipi, widely embraced by Native Americans of the Great Plains, sheds wind, rain, and snow better than any other tent shape. The single center pole provides unrivaled tensile strength that extends all the way to the ground. A well-pitched Tipi can withstand gale force winds and driving snow!
- Cinchable Walls: Need some extra breeze in the tent for those hot summer days? The Tipi’s guy line system is specially designed to cinch up and provide extra airflow! Simply unzip the floor, release the canvas from their takes, and pull the guy lines tight to create a ‘floating’ Tipi for maximum ventilation.
- Groundsheet: Our Ultimate groundsheets are durable, thermally welded, 15.9oz/yd² ripstop PVC. Completely water and vapor impenetrable, the ‘bathtub style’ floor rises 4 inches high to keep you dry even in standing water. Using a heavy duty size 10 zipper to attach the canvas to the groundsheet, you can unzip the floor to and use the guy lines to cinch up the canvas walls for maximum ventilation. You can remove the groundsheet entirely for transport, storage, cleaning, or to enjoy the grass or sand beneath your feet.
- Single Spring Loaded Center Pole: What makes CanvasCamp’s Tipi unique is that is relies entirely on a single heavy duty center pole and the tensile strength of the canvas staked to the ground. The durable nickel plated steal pole is 30mm (1.2inches) in diameter and has internal spring loaded wires that guide the pole sections together for quick and easy assembly.
- Durable Guy Lines and Tensioners: For quick pitching in mild weather the Tipi can stand just fine without guy lines. When the wind howls, the snow falls, or if your camping out for a long time, guy lines are recommended. Our Ultimate series comes with 3mm guy ropes that will need to be tied on before your first pitch. Check out our assembly instructions at the top of this page to get a feel for the initial set up process. Plastic tensioners prevent edges from cutting into the guy lines and prolong the life of your tent.
- Storm Door: The triangle shaped front foor of the Tipi has a single zipper that runs vertically to the floor. Each side of the door zips securely into the groundsheet, or can be rolled up and neatly stored with hook and loops when not in use. A built in mesh door keeps the Tipi breezy and well ventilated. Designed for winter, the door zipper is protected by a storm flap to prevent ice and snow from accumulating.
- Peak Cap: Every Tipi includes a canvas rain cap that is completely removeable so a tipi stove chimney can be vented through the top of the tipi. The cap has extra long guy lines that can be used to hold it in place in high winds, or fold it open from the ground for extra ventilation on hot days.
- Steel Stakes and Pegs: The Tipi stakes are designed for easy insertion and removal from average earth, like grass or forest floor. The Tipi has three sets of pegs: one set each for the groundsheet, canvas, and guy lines. The stakes for the guy lines are curved like a shovel to securely hold tension in the ground, and have a lip at the top to prevent the guy line from slipping off. The pegs for the floor are round to slip through the grommets on the groundsheet, and have a hook shaped top and hold the floor in place. All standard stakes and pegs measure 22cm (8.6 inches).
- Classic Canvas: Our Classic Canvas (320 gr/m² or 9.5 oz/yd²) is the perfect balance of performance and breathability. Our proprietary treatment enhances the natural water resistance of canvas, and is excellent protection for moderate climates and casual use. Repairable and retreatable, a properly maintained Classic Canvas tent can last for years. Double stitched, seams, seam gussets, and double-layer construction at all stress points create a classic and durable tipi tent.
- 100% Cotton canvas provides a natural waterproofing and breathability. Cotton fibers swell when damp, the tight weave prevents rain from penetrating and the surface tension of moisture drops on the outside combined with the steep angle of the tipi allows water to bead and run off. Moisture held in the air on the inside is still able to escape directly through the fabric, keeping internal humidity low and mitigating condensation. Cotton is made from the seed hair of this hardy and drought tolerant plant. Sustainable, renewable, and one of the most biodegradable fabrics on earth. Our canvas is a soft, natural, earthy beige that glows inside and out with natural or artificial light. CanvasCamp is the only tent manufacture to carry the official Seal of Cotton®.
- Stove Compatibility: The Tipi is compatible with any of our tent stoves. The Frontier Portable Stove has an optional Tipi Sleeve (sold separately) specifically designed for top exiting the flu pipe through the top of a CanvasCamp Tipi. All other stoves can be vented by outfitting the tipi with our modular stove jack system. Not for use with open fire pits.